NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE (NHL)
Hockey is a very technical activity requires rapid acceleration and deceleration forces that develop very consistently, resistance and discipline are very important qualities when it comes to your practice.
In the NHL there are 31 teams competing for 16 Eastern Conference teams (eight for each division), and the Western Conference with 15 teams (seven in the Central Division and eight in the Pacific Division).
The Stanley Cup is the most prestigious trophy of the National Hockey League, which is given to the champion of the Playoffs series by the league, the trophy is one of the most representative symbols of ice hockey.
There are numerous trophies that are awarded to players of the regular season:
- Presidents’ Trophy: For the team that has the most points in the regular season.
- Art Ross Trophy: For the league scoring champion (goals and assists)
- Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy: For the leading scorer of goals.
- William M. Jennings Trophy for the goalkeeper: For the team with the few goals against them.
The trophies of the other player are voted by the Association of Professional Hockey Writers or the general managers of the team. These individual awards are presented at a formal ceremony held at the end of June after the playoffs are over. The most prestigious individual prize is the Hart Memorial Trophy, which is awarded annually to the Most Valuable Player.
- Vezina Trophy: Is awarded annually to the person who defines the best goalkeeper.
- James Norris Memorial Trophy: Is awarded annually to the main defender of the National Hockey League.
- Calder Memorial Trophy: Is awarded annually to the best rookie
- Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Is awarded to the player who is considered to combine the highest degree of skill and sportsmanship.
The most successful teams are Montreal with 24 titles, Toronto with 13 titles, Detroit with 11 titles, 6 titles and Edmonton Oiler and Pittsburgh with 5 titles.
There are other types of hockey:
- Hockey-Room: Is played between two teams of 6 field players, is divided into two times of 20 minutes and 5 rest.
- Field hockey: Played between two teams of 11 players, divided into two 35-minute times with a break of 5 to 10 minutes.
- Roller hockey: Played between two teams of 5 players, it is divided into two 25-minute times on a rectangular track with a flat surface and list, made of wood, cement or terrace.